Doncaster Rovers 1-3 Newport County: 250 word match reports

A young supporter looks from the concourse towards the field and the red seats of the stands at Doncaster Rovers Eco Power Stadium

Typical, you wait ages (well, a couple of days) for a match report and then two come along at once. Thanks to our editor’s terrible memory, both Danny Dickinson, and first Katy Bateman wrap up Rovers latest defeat.

Doncaster Rovers 1-3 Newport County

South Wales came to South Yorkshire, as ex(iled)-Rover, Omar Bogle, returned with his new team, the Exiles of Newport, looking to prove a point. With both teams safe from the drop, it was only pride at stake.

The game took a bit of time to get going, with Newport manager Graham Coughlan getting a talking-to from referee Simon Mather for objecting to a decision going against Bogle. On eleven minutes, however, Kyle Hurst’s wayward shot surprised everyone by taking a big deflection to loop over goalkeeper Joe Day. This was the only moment of real celebration for Rovers in a half where most of their problems were self-inflicted, although Newport didn’t do themselves any favours to take advantage. As half-time came, the question was would Rovers be able to keep their lead?

The answer, at first, was yes – then on 64 minutes, the Rovers defence stood and watched as Mickey Demetriou’s long throw found the head of Priestley Farquharson, and Newport were level. Seven minutes after that, Bogle set up Aaron Wildig for his team’s second goal. The capitulation was completed on 79 minutes. Another long Demetriou throw, Cameron Norman’s header, an away end of very happy Exiles, whilst the sparsely populated home stands emptied out.

For Welsh speaking Rovers fans, the first half could be summed up as gweddol (so-so). The second half, as it has been for the majority of this season, was ofnadwy (terrible). Thankfully – for Rovers at least – this dreadful season is nearly over. 

by Katy Bateman

Doncaster Rovers 1-3 Newport County

Rovers welcomed Omar Bogle and Newport County to the Eco-Power for a game that played out much the way many Rovers fixtures this season have played out before it.

The game had a very end of season feel, there was no apparent attacking threat from either side in a first half of many misplaced passes, starting with Ro-Shaun Williams in the fifth minute. However, the Rovers somehow took the lead on 12 minutes as Aidan Barlow found Kyle Hurst 25 yards out and his shot took a wicked deflection past Joe Day in the Newport goal. Rovers produced the best of the half’s remaining chances, and would come to regret wasting them after the break.

Newport equalised in the 64th minute when Rovers failed to deal with a long throw by Mickey Demetriou and Priestley Farquharson headed home. Seven minutes later it was 2-1 to County; that man Bogle raced forward from the halfway line before pulling back for the waiting Aaron Wildig to smash home off the upright. And then soon enough it was 3-1 from another long throw which again wasn’t dealt with and Cameron Norman slotted home. That’s seven defeats in nine for the Rovers and one win in 14. Where do we go from here?

by Danny Dickinson

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s