A new season. Lush green grass, freshly marked lines. Short-sleeved shirts and cold pre-match beers. Optimism and hayfever in the air. Isn’t it? Wasn’t it? Marvelous. And if you weren’t already flush with excitement at the prospect of a new season, we’ve also got a new fanzine out as well. What a time to be alive. Issue 89 of the FSF Award winning fanzine popular STAND is on sale at Doncaster Rovers’ home match with Gillingham on Saturday.
Where can I buy it?
We have three fanzine sellers primed and ready to go this Saturday, outside the stadium before Rovers vs Gillingham. From around 1:30pm until 2:50pm we’ll be in position at the following locations; beneath the statue on the path from the lake, and by the Belle Vue bar. And from about 1.50pm you’ll find us on sale outside the South Stand turnstiles too. If we’ve not sold out before kick-off you’ll also have the opportunity to buy a copy after the match at the entrance to car-park two, but don’t take the chance – our last three issues have all sold out before the match.
What’s in it?
Inside this issue’s 40 packed fanzine pages you’ll find:
- Editorial – on not letting lower league football be patronised
- The Bernard Glover Diaries – catching up on Rovers’ summer
- Spotted! – Rovers players seen out and about
- Marshall Matters – does James Coppinger really hold the club’s appearance record?
- Go Away – Your guide to Rovers’ early season away games
- Howard’s Marks – On the virtues of non-league football
- Football on your Doorstep – where to go when Rovers aren’t playing
- Voice of the Pop Side – What if Lewis Dunk could time a challenge?
- Coach’s Corner – TACTICAL SHOUTING AT THE TENNIS!
- For Peat’s Sake – What makes a cult footballer?
- The Fan Panel – Predictions for the new season
- Remembering the First Time – Adam Stubbings goes back to opening day 1999
- Stock Check – is Brian OK?
- Jack the Miner’s Coal Face – Rovers unknown celebrity fan
- Lazarus Comes Forth – On the moment the Keepmoat felt like home
- Spotted! – More Rovers players out and about
- Memorable Memorabilia – Nick Clarke’s signed shirt
- Gary Brabin’s Memorial Lounge – On Louis Tomlinson’s new video
- Bernard Glover’s Believe it or Not
- Beneath the Statue – On a summer spent not missing football
- The Definitive Rovers XI of the 21st Century
- Windmills of Your Mind – A statistical review of 2016-17
- Reg Ipsa – Your problems sort of answered
- The Which Blair Project
Why should I buy it?
You only need to pay £1 for it. It’s completely independent and written by fellow Rovers fans, for the enjoyment of all Rovers fans. And, all profits go to local charities in Doncaster so at the very least you’re supporting good causes in your town. So if you can pay more than that £1 please do, it’d be very welcome.
3 thoughts on “popular STAND fanzine issue 89”
I have another article for you which is provisionally titled- Doncaster Rovers and Horseracing
As always I thought the fanzine was interesting and perceptive!
Thanks Keith, do you want to send your article to our email and we’ll take a look.