Doncaster Rovers 2-0 Coventry City: 250 word match report

Supporters invade the pitch at the Keepmoat Stadium following Doncaster Rovers 2-0 victory over Coventry City to secure a League One play-off place.

“Peterborough are one up” announced a succession of West Stand voices, adding tension to the nervousness fuelled by an unconvincing opening quarter in which only the visitors had really threatened. Rovers defence opening up for Brandon Mason to thankfully showed a full-back’s instinct rather than a forward’s.But then Rovers settled. James Coppinger’s lofted through ball found John Marquis only for his follow-up to his initial scuff to be well-saved by Lee Burge. However, the keeper had less success five minutes later; given no hope by a teasing Mallik Wilks cross which Kieran Sadlier couldn’t help head home. Cue roar of welcome relief.

Now in their stride, Rovers threatened again before the break; Wilks with a shot saved, Marquis flashing a low half-volley inches wide. Coventry’s only chance came when Amadou Bakayoko tapped in from an offside position, with the whistle already having long sounded for an earlier foul.

After the break Rovers again made heavy work of things, enabling Coventry to engineer their one shot on target, well-struck from Jordy Hiwula but always covered by Marko Marosi.

Grant McCann shrewdly sent on Ali Crawford in place of a tiring Wilks, and with the ship steadied, Rovers finally found the much needed second goal five minutes from time. Danny Andrew’s hanging cross met by Marquis’ downward header. And though Burge saved well, the striker was first to react; bundling the ball home to another huge Doncastrian roar, and the reward of a welcome extension to this hugely entertaining Rovers season.

by Glen Wilson

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s