Is it really a new season, without a bloke standing under a statue with a bag of paper at his feet, cursing the ice-cream van that’s parked up on his patch? Course it isn’t, so whilst we might’ve all had a lovely time at the Southend seaside, we all know things don’t get properly underway until this Saturday, when you get to turn back the cover on an August edition of popular STAND fanzine.
As ever, we’ve forty packed pages of high quality football writing from your fellow Rovers fans, covering everything from general melancholy at the start of a new football season to, er, well, a bit more general melancholy at the new football season. In between that we look back at the World Cup, remember Graeme Jones, go and watch a match in a jousting field by a castle, fawn over James Coppinger, and bug Gavin McCann’s manager interview.
It’s a good read, a welcome distraction, and most of all, damn good value for the singular £1 we ask you for it. Make sure you pick up yours on Saturday from the usual places, detailed below.
Where can I buy it?
This issue will be on sale ahead of Rovers’ first home match of the season against Wycombe Wanderers on Saturday 11 August; available from outside the Belle Vue Bar from about 1.30pm, and from beneath the statue at the South East corner of the ground from the same time. At the moment we only have two sellers, but if we can find a third volunteer they’ll be positioned outside the South Stand from around 2pm onwards.
And, if we have any copies left post match, you’ll find us at the entrance to Car Park 2 at full-time.
What’s in it?
Inside this issue’s 40 packed fanzine pages you’ll find:
- Editorial – on trying to get excited for a new season
- The Bernard Glover Diaries – a look back at summer’s goings on
- Spotted! – Rovers folk seen out and about
- Remembering the First Time – Luke Etheridge takes us back to 2010
- The Fan Panel – six Rovers fans look ahead to the coming season
- Jack the Miner’s Coal Face – behind the scenes in the manager interviews
- Common Cults – Jason Price’s time at Hull City
- Stock Check – what’s Brian up to right now?
- Lazarus Comes Forth – have Leicester City skewed expectations?
- For Peat’s Sake – is disappointment ultimately good for us?
- On Holiday with the Rovers – how they spend a summer
- The Striker’s Graveyard – Graeme Jones
- Marshall Matters – not quite looking forward to 2018-19
- Howard’s Marks – a trip to watch football beside a castle
- From Beneath the Statue – enjoying a World Cup summer
- Voice of the Pop Side – do Rovers always start slowly?
- The Belles, The Belles – a timely update on the women’s team
- Gary Brabin Memorial Lounge – a lot about not much
- Bernard Glover’s Believe it or Not
- Windmills of Your Mind – a statistical look at last season
- Anatomy of a Goal – James Coppinger vs Deeping Rangers
- Reg Ipsa – our legal expert ‘answers’ your questions
Why should I buy it?
You only need to pay £1 for it. It’s completely independent and written by fellow Rovers fans, for the enjoyment of all Rovers fans. It’s really good, and has won national awards and recognition for it’s content. And, all profits go to local charities in Doncaster – we’ve given away around £7,000 in recent years – so at the very least you’re supporting good causes in your town. So if you can pay more than that £1 please do, it’d be very welcome.