Remember the last time we put an issue of popular STAND fanzine on sale back at the start of the season? If you missed issue 95, it was essentially forty pages of people being decidedly unenthusiastic about the football ahead, trying to justify their attendance, and generally fearing the worst. What a bloody difference two months can make.
For issue 96 we have yet another forty packed pages of high quality football writing from your fellow Rovers fans. But two months into the season and its fair to say the mood of our contributors is somewhat improved. Aside from enthusing on Gavin McCann’s new look Rovers, in this edition of the fanzine you’ll also find laments against FIFA, talking statues, the influence of Steve Beaglehole, the trap of fearing a ‘lack of ambition’, Tristram Whitman’s finest hour, and the possible alternative careers of Rovers stars.
It’s a really good read, and most of all, damn good value for the singular £1 we ask you for it. Make sure you pick up yours on Saturday from the usual places, detailed below.
Where can I buy it?
This issue will be on sale ahead of Rovers’ home match against Fleetwood Town on Saturday 6 October; available from outside the Belle Vue Bar from about 1.30pm, and from beneath the statue at the South East corner of the ground from shortly after. At the moment we only have two sellers, but if we can find a third volunteer they’ll be positioned outside the South Stand from around 2pm onwards.
And, if we have any copies left post match, you’ll find us at the entrance to Car Park 2 at full-time.
What’s in it?
Inside this issue’s 40 packed fanzine pages you’ll find:
- Editorial – on FIFA’s far removal from football
- The Bernard Glover Diaries – a look back at an enjoyable two months
- Spotted! – Rovers folk seen out and about
- Remembering the First Time – Neil Allen takes us back to 1971
- The Fan Panel – six Rovers fans give their verdict on events so far
- Follows the Rovers – Dr. Brian Cox explains the phenomena of Coppinger
- Gary Brabin Memorial Lounge – getting lost in the details
- Lazarus Comes Forth – is fear of a ‘lack of ambition’ trapping clubs?
- Being the Man in the Middle – what’s it like to referee the Rovers?
- Other Jobs of the Rovers – what would our heroes do if they weren’t footballers?
- Voice of the Pop Side – do we have too much football?
- For Peat’s Sake – can we northerners embrace change?
- Jack the Miner’s Coal Face – if football statues could talk
- Howard’s Marks – a trip to hit The Nailers
- From Beneath the Statue – on picking your matches
- Memorable Memorabilia – a treasured shirt from 2010
- The Striker’s Graveyard – Paul Heffernan
- Marshall Matters – not quite looking forward to 2018-19
- Bernard Glover’s Believe it or Not
- Windmills of Your Mind – why we have Sunderland in our sights
- Anatomy of a Goal – Tristram Whitman vs Chester City
- Reg Ipsa – our legal expert ‘answers’ your questions
Why should I buy it?
You only need to pay £1 for it. It’s completely independent and written by fellow Rovers fans, for the enjoyment of other Rovers fans… like you. It’s really good, and has won national awards and recognition for it’s content. And, all profits go to local charities in Doncaster – we’ve given away around £7,000 in recent years – so at the very least you’re supporting good causes in your town. So if you can pay more than that £1 please do, it’d be very welcome.