Doncaster Rovers 0-2 Crystal Palace: 250 word match report

Ali Crawford takes a corner for Doncaster Rovers during the second round of their fifth round FA Cup defeat to Crystal Palace at the Keepmoat Stadium

Had this match been played out exclusively in the parts of the pitch that weren’t penalty area Rovers could be hugely satisfied, having moved the ball with a confidence that belied the divisional gap. But football doesn’t work that way and in the two 18-yard-boxes the clinical difference told; despite winning a dozen corners Rovers failed to test Wayne Hennessey, Palace were ruthless.

It took just eight minutes for Jeffrey Schlupp to knock the wind out of 11,000 Doncastrians; released by a Luka Milivojević, his low shot clipped off Paul Downing’s leg and inside the far post.

A set-back, but not a disaster – Rovers were set up to go forwards not park buses – and Grant McCann’s men worked their way back into the game. James Coppinger and Ali Crawford in particular pulled the strings, but chances remained fleeting. And just as minds wandered towards a potentially enthralling second half, Palace struck again; Milivojević chipping to Andros Townsend, and he nodded across for the impressive Max Meyer to make it 2-0. There endeth the game.

The second half saw Rovers adopt a crowd-stirring shoot-on-sight policy that might’ve forced a nervousness in our visitors had it still been 1-0. But despite the step up in urgency the only thing testing Hennessey was the concept of taking a goal-kick in under two minutes, and with the 64th minute withdrawal of Crawford and Coppinger Rovers threat evaporated.

A game that gave many positives, but proved a flat end to a great Cup run.

by Glen Wilson

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s